Friday, January 7, 2011

Highlander Tournament Results

So the list I settled on was:

eMadrak
Dire Troll Mauler
Trollkin Champions (full)
Janissa Stonetide

I figured 5 damage dice from Bloddfury on the champs on a charge would be able to wreck anything they touched, and I was right... mostly. The problem with that is I gotta be the one that gets the charge off. Which with some of my opponents proved impossible. On to the rounds!

Round 1 vs. Circle - Draw
His list:
eKaya
Laris
Feral Warpwold
Argus
Druids of Orboros

My opponent is still pretty new and was playing his Circle which I've only see him play twice before (he usually plays Skorne). I bricked up behind the champs with a stonewall from Janissa in front of them and proceeded forward. He got the charge off with the Argus and Laris both meeting the wall, but his Warpwolf made it 11 inches and pasted the mauler in three ridiculous damage rolls (Charge=17, second=11, third=11 more) Then on my turn Janissa Tectonic Shifts everything away so I can charge back. The Champs get some ridiculous rolls of there own and kill the Warpwolf with three initial attacks, another Champ slaughters Laris no problem, then between two Champs I only hit the Argus once and don' quite kill it. I give the turn to my opponent who tries to see if ha can salvage anything but dice down is called. Draw.
The only thing I could have done better in this game was mind the 11 inch charge range from the Warpwolf. My opponent is still working on his grasp of the rules and asked a lot of questions, which took up some of our valuable time. It happens, and I still have to ask a lot of questions too.

Round 2 vs. Mercs - Loss
His list:
Magnus
Mangler
Renegade
Steelhead Riflemen

Our board is one massive hill, that's it. Turn one my opponent runs everything as far forward as he can. My turn I advance wary of the rifleman, put up Janissa's wall for the defense, pass the turn. His turn, allocate to the Renegade, renegade shoots Madrak and knocks him down. Put snipe on the Riflemen, the Riflemen then CRA draw a bead on Madrak and pull the trigger. Game over, loss.
I still have no idea how I could have prevented this with the list I was running.

Round 3 vs. Retribution - Win
His list:
Gareth
Discordia
Magehunter Strike Force + UA
Magehunter Assassin

This board had a decent sized piece of blocking terrain in the middle with some rough terrain on the sides. I go first, advance up, put a wall down, Madrak casts Warpath and Bloodfury, pass. He runs up, splitting his forces around the building (Discordia on my left Gareth on my right), pass. I upkeep both spells, bring the Champs and Janissa over to the left to deal with Discordia, while the Mauler planted himself behind the building. His turn the Assassin failed a charge, he shot up my dudes (killing nothing) and passed. My turn, upkeep both spells, champs charge dealing roughly 18 to Discordia and killing a couple Magehunters triggering Warpath, this puts the Mauler in a prime point to trample Gareth. So I trample on over, killing 0/4 Magehunters, swing at Gareth, need a 10 to hit, hit for 13 damage, swing miss, buy swing miss, buy swing miss, buy swing miss, buy swing miss. Gareth is sitting at 3 health and all I have left is Madrak who activates and feats for a last try at Gareth, Mauler swings roll...10! Dead Gareth. Win
This game I felt pretty good about the whole time, the only thing I would have changed is some minor placement issues that I had with Janissa, but it worked out.

Round 4 vs. Gators - Loss
His list:
Bloody Barnabus
Blackhide Wrastler

Gatormen Posse

The board couldn't have been any worse for me, with nothing but a giant pool of water taking up the middle of the board. Combining that with Barnabus's swamp spell means I eat the charge as I can't get through all the water. He kills 3 Champs and my Mauler on this charge, I retaliate a little by taking out the Wrastler and a couple Gatormen. On his next turn he finishes off the Champs and kill Janissa, and since I have only my Warlock left the game is over. Loss.
This game I probably could have done better but I was to focused on the Water and how it was slowing me down while helping my opponent, I'll try to learn from this.

All in all it was a good time and I would happily take another crack at this format. All night I found myself wishing I had pMadrak so I would probably go for him, Surefoot is just to good of a spell.

Next week is Slow Grow and I have some serious painting to do, catch you on the flipside.

2 comments:

  1. The blank space in the Gator list is a Bull Snapper. Not sure why I didn't include that.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I get a chuckle out of the loss to Mike. Talk about your perfect storm.

    ReplyDelete